You may have noticed that your miniature schnauzer does not fancy water, and this observation has left you wondering if it can swim.
Can miniature schnauzers swim?
Miniature schnauzers are not typically naturally good swimmers, and many do not enjoy water. However, they can be taught to swim, and they typically catch on better when they are puppies.
Still, you may notice individual variations in their inclination to swim.
Miniature schnauzers might generally not the best swimmers, but they still have a lot to do with swimming.
So, in this post, we talk about miniature schnauzers, swimming, and water sports.
We also recommend some items you should get when going swimming with your mini schnauzer.
Table of Contents
Can Miniature Schnauzers Swim?
Generally, all dogs can swim – whether naturally or when they are trained.
But you will find that some breeds are better at swimming and are more likely to go for a dip than others.
Miniature Schnauzers are one of those dog breeds that are not great at swimming.
But does this mean that miniature schnauzers cannot swim? No, mini schnauzers can swim when they are trained.
But without training, it is rare to find a mini schnauzer that is an excellent swimmer.
You might be wondering, “why are miniature schnauzers not great swimmers?” Well, many factors come into play in a dog’s ability to swim.
One of these factors is body shape. The shape of a dog’s body factors into how well the dog floats. For miniature schnauzers, their body does not favor their ability to swim.
Besides body shape, miniature schnauzers have double coats, which absorb water a lot.
Of course, if their coat is absorbing water, they will become heavier. This, in turn, will affect floatation.
Miniature schnauzers also have non-webbed toes, a small stature, and thick beards.
These 3 factors all contribute to their inability to naturally be excellent at swimming.
Generally, dogs that are excellent at swimming have water-resistant coats, long muzzles, and webbed toes.
Such dogs are also usually medium-sized or large. So, it is not surprising that mini schnauzers are not top swimmers.
Fortunately, besides all of this, you can train your miniature schnauzer to swim.
However, the individuality of each dog may set in. While some mini schnauzers will enjoy water from the onset, you may have to be patient with others.
Note that miniature schnauzers do not necessarily hate water. They just will not get themselves wet unless they think they need it – like when trying to cool off on a hot day.
In the most likely scenario where your mini schnauzer is not an excellent swimmer, you will have to train it.
But never force the dog or puppy to get into the water.
If you do this, you will give it a bad experience with water. The more bad experiences your mini schnauzer has with water, the less likely it is to swim.
Do They Like to Swim?
A miniature schnauzer’s love for swimming may just depend on its personality. Mini schnauzers might generally be bad swimmers, but this does not mean they do not love to swim.
There is no foolproof way of telling if the whole breed likes to swim or not.
You may only get to realize how much your mini schnauzer likes to swim when you observe it while swimming. So, while one schnauzer may dislike swimming, another may enjoy it.
Besides individual preferences, if a miniature schnauzer has a bad experience with water in the past, chances are it will not like swimming.
Can They Compete In Water Sports?
Miniature schnauzers can compete in water sports.
Of course, this should only happen if the dog is okay with getting wet.
Some of the water sports miniature schnauzers can compete in include the following:
- Dog Dock Jumping
- Hose Fun
Dog Dock Jumping
This may also be called dock diving.
It is a sport in which your dog jumps from a dock over a water body as it tries to retrieve a toy thrown by a handler. Throwing the toy persuades the dog to jump.
The goal of this sport is to measure how high or how far your dog can jump. In some other versions, the goal is to measure how fast the dog retrieves the toy.
The dog is expected to land in the water. So, the sport is pretty safe.
Dock jumping is most suited for dogs who love to fetch and will not mind getting wet. So, if your miniature schnauzer fits the bill, they can compete.
Hose fun is a game or sport you can share with your miniature schnauzer.
It involves you spraying water from a hose close to its feet then moving away. As you move away, the dog will chase after you and try to bite the water.
You can also throw a ball in the path of the water. The dog will try to race after the spray from the hose and the ball.
Besides those 2 above, miniature schnauzers can compete in the following water sports:
5 Items to Consider When Going Swimming With Your Miniature Schnauzer
When training your miniature schnauzer to swim or when swimming with it, safety is vital.
To ensure that your dog stays safe and comfortable while you swim with it, you may get the following items:
Dog Life Vest
When choosing a life vest for your dog, ensure it is fitted yet comfortable. Also, ensure you opt for one with a handle on the back.
With the handle on the back, you can easily pull the schnauzer out of the water if need be.
We recommend the following life vests for your dog:
Outward Hound Dog Life Jacket
- SIZING BASED ON GIRTH: Dogs come in all shapes and sizes. Whether your dog is short and stout or long and lanky, there’s a dog life jacket fit for them. Available in sizes XS-XL and featuring adjustable straps, we’ve made it easy for you to choose a size that supports them based on their girth measurement. We recommend sizing up if the dog’s girth size is on the higher end of this size.
- SPLASH WITH SAFETY: The Outward Hound Granby Splash life jacket for dogs is designed with bright colors and reflective accents to provide better visibility while swimming. A front neck float helps keep your dog’s head above water whether they are a novice or experienced swimmer.
- NOVICE & EXPERIENCED SWIMMER-FRIENDLY: The Granby Splash dog life jacket is constructed with ripstop material that provides maximum buoyancy in the water without restricting movement on land. Adjustable straps and side release buckles provide a secure fit and neoprene belly band supports their chest and belly while getting their float on!
Paws Aboard Dog Life Jacket Vest for Swimming and Boating
- SAFETY – Cozy and secure fit with constructed buoyancy. Our life jackets provide peace of mind during water activities with your canine. Features new, reflective strips for maximum visibility, and adjustable straps!
- MULTIPLE SIZES – Paws Aboard Dog Life Jackets are available in XX-small, X-small, Small, Medium, Large and X-large sizes. Dogs come in all shapes and sizes, so should their safety!
- CONVENIENT – We’ve included a handle on top of the life vest for quick and easy grabbing during emergencies or water activities. Our hook in loop fastening system keeps the lifevest securely fastened around your dog’s belly and neck.
- VARIOUS COLORS – Make a splash with our dog life jackets, available in a range of colors and designs to choose from. These include: racing flames, pink polka dots, nautical dogs, blue & yellow, grey camo, neon yellow, red, and green. Our dog life vest is a stylish lifesaver for your furry friend.
- ABOUT US: Fido Pet Products is a family owned business. As lifelong pet owners, we live an active outdoor lifestyle and consider our pets beloved family members. We develop and deliver quality pet products for the safety and enjoyment of our pets. We want to allow pets to safely join in on the active lifestyles of their pet owners.
Queenmore Dog Life Jacket
- DOG LIFE JACKET WITH HIGH BUOYANCY – The shark dog life jacket is made of the ripstop oxford cloth fabric and filled with polyethylene foam. The high quality material can provide high buoyancy and resever long life.
- CUTE SHARK FIN DOG LIFE VEST – The dog life jacket is eye-catching with the cute shark fin standing whenever your pet is swimming in the water or walking on the pool or beach.
- STRONG FASTEN SYSTME – Fasten the dog life vest with easy-to-act magic sticker at the neck and the belly. And adjust the nylon straps and fasten the strong buckles. And then the dog life vest fits well and always keeps on your dog.
When your dog is outdoors learning how to swim, it will be exposed to the sun.
Prolonged exposure to the sun leaves it at risk of sunburn. Areas not covered by coat like the ear and the nose are most prone to sunburn.
But with canine sunscreen, you can reduce the risk.
Some canine sunscreens you can try out include:
Epi-Pet Sun Protector Spray for Pets
- Protects from Sun
- Skin and coat conditioner
- Aroma Therapy
- Non-greasy and non-oily Solution
- Only FDA Compliant Pet Sunscreen
Emmy’s Best Dog Sun Skin Protector Spray
- Soothing sun protection for dogs – You reduce the effects of the sun on your skin with sunscreen, so don’t neglect your four-legged friends. Our dog sunscreen is a proprietary formula designed to moisturize and nourish the skin and coat, while providing effective sun protection for dogs. Dog sun protection is vital for any outdoor activity and a must-have addition to your dog beach accessories
- All-purpose defense for all breeds – Short, thin, white or pink skinned canines will benefit from our sun protection for dogs. Emmy’s Best Pet Products is essential beach gear for dogs, and a valuable hiking or camping accessory. Shea Butter and Coconut Oil deeply moisturize to avoid drying, while other effective ingredients offer reassurance and security for your faithful companion
Vitamin & Essential Oil Sunscreen and Skin Conditioner For Dogs
- Blocks the Sun Rays – Take your pet for morning walks and beach times without worrying about harmful rays. This vitamin-enriched dog sunscreen contains SPF 30, giving a powerful defense against peeling snouts and sun damage—an excellent addition to your dog beach essentials!
- Relieves Sun Damage – Our dog dry skin conditioner combines lavender and neem oil to help address painful burns and peeling caused by sun exposure. Say goodbye to red, tender skin! This sunscreen for dogs offers natural recovery from past and present skin damage.
Inflatable Flotation Device
You can have a flotation device in the water to ensure extra safety for your dog.
It could be a raft or even a floating disc. But, even with the flotation device in the water, ensure you put a life vest on your schnauzer. Also, ensure you remain nearby.
You can try these products for your dog:
AQUA 4-in-1 Monterey Hammock Inflatable Pool Float
- Patented Thick, Non-Stick Pvc: Our Special Pvc Laminated Material Is 50% To 70% Thicker Than Most Other “Sticky Pvc” Pool Hammocks And Water Hammocks
- Most Versatile Pool Hammock & Float: 4-In-1 Design Converts To A Hammock, Chair, Drifter, Or Exercise Saddle.
- Easiest Pool Float To Get On Or Off: Seat Rests In Water – No Jumping, No Ladders, No Flopping; Best For People 4’ To 6’ Tall
- Ez On-Off Pool Hammock: Multi-Purpose Pool Float, Lake Floatie, Ocean Floater; Great For Seniors And Expectant Moms
Milliard Dog Pool Float
- Fun in the Sun: On hot summer days, let your pup cool off in style! Blue paw shaped float makes water activities more fun than ever for your furry friend. Perfect for the pool, pond, lake, or your favorite swimming spot.
- Durable and Long Lasting: This sturdy tube is crafted from heavy-duty UV and puncture resistant vinyl that will not stain, fade, mildew, or get ruined. Built to last, so you and your dog can have fun together every season. To avoid damaging the float do not over-inflate.
- Plenty of Space: This large floating raft pool toy is big enough even for large dogs (up to 220 pounds). Or, invite some of your pet’s canine friends and share the fun! Raft measures 50 inches wide x 40 inches long x 7.5 inches high.
SplashNmore Inflatable Donut Float For Beach or Pool
- Inflatable Strawberry Donut Float
- Donut Pool Float is Approximately 4 ft Wide – Can fit 2 children in middle
- Donut Pool Float is Made From Strong Durable Factory Tested Multi-Colored Vinyl
- Donut Pool Float Inflates and Deflates Quickly & Easily With Long Lasting Color That Won’t Fade
- ATSM / CPSC Safety Tested and Compliant
A whistle tracker may also come in handy.
This device lets you keep an eye on your dog’s fitness, health, and location. All you have to do is attach it to the dog’s collar.
Any of the following trackers should fulfill the said purposes:
Whistle Go Explore – Ultimate Health & Location Tracker for Pets
Tractive LTE GPS Dog Tracker
- REAL-TIME GPS TRACKING: See the location of your dog and track them anywhere with no distance limit
- WORKS WITH SUBSCRIPTION: The subscription covers all the costs of the integrated SIM card and data, starting from $5/month (varies depending on subscription plan); try it for free with our 30 day money back guarantee
- GET HEALTH ALERTS: Your tracker monitors and tracks the sleep quality and activity patterns of your pet; when it detects something unusual, you’ll get an alert via email
You can also get a reflective collar for your mini schnauzer when you go swimming.
This collar will come in handy if you and your dog are out in low-light conditions.
You could get one of these for your dog:
Joytale Reflective Dog Collar
- SAFETY: Highly reflective threads keep high visibility at night for safety. And you can easy find your furry pet in the back yard at night
- MATERIALS: Dog collar is made of nylon with thick neoprene padding on the back, making it soft. This prevents any irritation on the neck and makes it an all-weather dog collar
- CLASSIC: This nylon dog collar is a classic yet stylish collar that comes in 12 colors and 5 sizes so you can find just the right one for your dog. A separate loop on the collar makes it easy to add dog tags and leashes onto the collar
Taglory Reflective Dog Collar with Safety Locking Buckle
- Safety Buckle – Side quick release buckle is made out of quality eco-friendly plastic with safety lock to prevent the collar from accidentally opening
- Soft Neoprene Padded – The cushion from this exclusive feature gives maximum comfort to dogs during activities. No sharp edges or unfold sewing joint. Heavy duty stitching adds durability for long lasting use
- 360° Reflective Straps – Reflective stitching for extra visibility from distance at night
CollarDirect Reflective Dog Collar with Buckle Adjustable Safety
- Safe in the Dark – Having an adult dog or a puppy makes you responsible for their safety and for being compliant with your neighborhood rules. This reflective dog collar has dual stitching for extra visibility at night.
- Perfect for Active Dogs – This lightweight and durable nylon dog collar guarantees comfort during your dog’s favorite activities: running, swimming, or patrolling the yard. It has a sturdy quick release buckle and a locking feature to prevent accidental opening.
- Upgraded with Padding – Our newly launched reflective dog collars are equipped with extra internal padding for your dog’s comfort. To see the new variations, choose new in the color variations.
In many cases, Miniature Schnauzers are not excellent swimmers.
But this does not take away the fact that they can swim or be taught how to swim.
Interestingly, the likeness for swimming varies amongst individual mini schnauzers. While some would enjoy swimming, some would not.